Friday, May 13, 2016

CIS off

The CIS system came off without issue.  The intake runner nuts were a pain to get to, but not impossible.  I used a 1/4" ratchet for most of them.  Some required a wobble extension.  The aft right runner inside nut cap off with an open end wrench.  The most challenging was the forward right runner nut.  That was done blind with a deep socket, short extension and 1/4" ratchet.  All the nuts were 12mm, except for one which was 13mm.  That must have been a replacement at some point.

With the runners loose, i disconnected all the left side and aft right runners from the airbox.  The other two had their hose clamp screws facing forward, so they stayed attached.  The rubber runner connectors felt really spongy so they are being replaced.
With the runners off/loose, and all the other hoses and plugs disconnected from the front of the airbox, I only had to negotiate the oil tube from the airbox around the breather hose on the engine.  Well that took a bit of persuasion but I got it free.  The airbox was free!.


Everything was covered with grime and dirt.  Who knows how many years of "history" are on these parts.  I cleaned up the airbox with some degreaser (Greased Lightening).  For the top of the engine, I first removed all the debris with a vacuum.  Note I fist plugged the intakes with rubber stoppers.  which fit perfectly and would keep FOD and water out.
With the debris removed, I spread an old towel under the engine and then used some Gunk to clean the grime.  Careful to rinse and not get anything electrical wet.  
Here are the results.  Not concurs, but definitely an improvement.  





After cleaning, I assessed the remaining components.  Well the oil line nipple off the cold start valve looks sketchy.  Also, the cold start fuel line is damaged and needs replacing.  P/N 930-110-570-00. 

So time to do more cleaning and order parts.  I also have video of the CIS removal which I need to D/L and edit.  Then I'll post it here.   That's it for now.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment