Thursday, July 14, 2016

It is alive!

One of the more satisfying steps to a project like this is when dismantling ceases and parts start going back on.  We that's what I've been up to the last couple of months.  Still managing to squeeze time in between work and kids activities, progress has been made.  Here's what I've done:


Before installing the new fuel tank I wanted to get all the nasty gas out of the fuel lines.  So with a bit of air pressure, I cleared the input and return lines.

 Reinstalled the fuel pump.  I tested it first before installation.  Good thing I did because it did not work!  I flushed it out with carb cleaner.  Lots of red residue (rust from the old tank) came out.  However it still wouldn't run.  My last resort was to "persuade" it to run with some gentle taps with a hammer.  Tap tap tap... whirrrrrr!  Success.  It was just stuck from sitting for years.

 Next step was to install the new tank.  I stuck the new foam rubber gasket on the tank flange and dropped it in place.  Piece of cake.


 I took a break from installation and wanted to see what electrics are working.  With the battery in place I ran thru some of the switches on the dash.  Hey! The gauge lights work.  Looks good to me.


Hooked up the fuel tank filler.

 With the fuel tank in, I've gone back the the engine.  Replaced the oil sender, replaced the thermostat seal and the oil bypass flange gasket.  I ordered the oil cooler seals too and here I am taking a look at access.  With all that is needed to remove the oil cooler, I feel that this can wait until I pull the engine next year.  So for now I am just hoping that the lack of oily residue near the cooler means that its not leaking.  I also replaced the oil bypass hose.  It basically crumbled when I removed it.
With all the potential oil leak sites on the top of the engine addressed, its time to put the fuel injection system back in.

 I had a couple of fuel lines that were cracked at the fittings.  I plan on replacing all of them  Unobtainiumsupply.com has a complete set of plastic lines for ~$150. For now I fixed the two that were cracked,  I cut the cracked part off and melted the plastic from the fittings using soldering iron. I made a tool to hold the hose by drilling a hole at the center of the block splitline.  Heating the hose in a pot of boiling water, The fitting was pressed in easily.

 Holding the fitting with vice grips

 Hose repaired!
 1,2,3 Runners

 4,5,6 Runners




 CIS in.
 Another diversion... Bought some taillights on Ebay




 New Fuel Injectors and Sleeves

 Injectors Installed
 Fuel Distributor.


 After fixing a couple of minor fuel leaks, and a few failed attempts, she comes to life!
Installed the driver's seat.  Getting ready for its first road test.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment