Saturday, December 10, 2016

End of year update

Writing a blog is a lot of work.  Especially when there are so many other things to do. I give credit to those who can maintain a blog when our lives are so busy.
So its been a while since last reporting on the Projekt 911.  Back in July I made some great progress with the fuel system.  I rebuilt the CIS system and put it all back together.  Managed to even start the car.
So the engine would run, but it wasn't well tuned.  I drove the car around the block a few times.  There was some severe hesitation and backfiring.  No worries I thought.  I'll get those kinks worked out eventually.
I turned my attention to the electrical system.  So while the car starts and runs, and the dash lights work, nothing else did.  No headlights, turn signals, tail lights, brake lights.  Nothing. Looking under the dash and comparing it to Bentley manual, there were several connections out of sorts.  A look behind the headlights also revealed the most likely cause for non-functioning lights.  The wiring harnesses were never modified and hooked up to the new H4 lights.  Also, there were no bulbs.
I bought a set of OSRAM bulbs, installed them and rewired the harnesses to match with the H4 lights.  After some swearing and tweaking, the lights worked.  I even wired up the city lights in the H4 assemblies.  As a kid I saw these in Europe and I thought they were very cool looking.  Now I have a set too.
Headlight Wiring
 Lights Work



Another major issue was with the pedal cluster.  The clutch and accelerator pedals worked OK, but the brake pedal would not release after being depressed.  This was quit a problem the first (and only) time I tried to drive around the block.  I had to use my foot to pull the brake pedal up when I wanted to go.  Fun.  
So the pictures below show what a mess the cluster was in.  Rust, worn bushings and a broken spring. 




After disassembling the pedal cluster, I first cleaned it in an acid bath to remove the rust.  It came quite clean after taking a SS wire brush to it.  The housing was somewhat pitted, but in good shape.  The only casualty was one of the forward facing studs that broke off during removal.  The stud is actually the shank of a bolt that is welded in the housing.  I ended up drilling  and tapping a new hole now thru what was the head of the bolt.  Re-installation is done with a bolt from under the car in lieu of a nut.  
The brake return spring was not in perfect shape.  The arm that rests against the housing was about a cm shorter than it should be.  When I reassembled the housing, the spring would slip along the housing.  No bueno.
I tried sourcing a new spring but it happens to be NLA.  Not sure why since it seems like a replaceable item.  Anyway, to fix it I ended up bonding in a shim to the housing to reduce the distance to the spring.  The shortened spring arm does not slip against the shim so problem solved.
I bought the bushing rebuild kit that uses bronze bushings.  They all fit in nicely and the assembly went together with no issues.  I used a drift to remove and install the spring pin.  

 Shim Bonded in place

Brake pedal with spring and bushings.
More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment