Saturday, December 10, 2016

Progressing

Getting the headlights and tail lights to work was one thing. Getting the signals ans high beams to work was another.  While I was testing signals, the stalk switch on the steering wheel just gave up and basically fried the contacts.  I removed it from the car to work it on a bench, but there was no way I could fix it.  It was assembled in such a way that it was not meant to be ever taken apart.
So back to Pelican to order a new switch.
When I replaced it, everything worked.  The signals, the high beams and the flasher button worked too.  One of the signal lights on the dash doesn't work but I'll get to that eventually.
While under the dash, I also added a fuse for the dash lights.  This circuit is not fused from the factory so better safe than sorry.  Here is a picture of the fuse I used.  Picked it up at NAPA.
Fuse used for in dash lighting 

Signal and hi beam switch

 Next was to replace the ignition switch.  The PO had a replacement switch plugged in to the wire harness and just hanging.  I figured out why he didn't just install it.  Its a PITA to remove the ignition switch.  Probably a good idea to deter thieves.
There are two hardened steel bolts that have break-off heads that leave only the smooth portion of the bolt head.  Nothing to get a tool on.  Not even a vice grip.  I happened to have a diamond tipped bit for my dremel. I used it to carve a straight groove into each bolt head.  I used the grooves to back the bolts our with a screwdriver.
 Ignition switch bolts with grooves

Dremel tool with diamond bit

No comments:

Post a Comment